Chia seeds are listed in the group of the healthiest foods on the planet. Seeds contain nutrients that have significant benefits for the human’s body and brain and have the very important characteristic to be easily absorbed. Along with other nutrients, they are a great source of digestible protein and healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Because of the benefits and possibility to be used in almost any food they are the very popular type of food.
Chia seeds are a great source of:
– Omega-3 fatty acids,
– Antioxidants and fiber
– Have a high content of vitamins B, C, D, and E,
– Minerals such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, manganese, potassium, phosphorus
– Alpha-linoleic acid (ALA),
However, chia seeds are low in sodium and cholesterol
Health Benefits of are Versatile
- a) Anti-cancer properties
As Chia Seeds contain a high amount of antioxidants, they can neutralize free radicals and damage the molecules in cells that lead to aging and cancer.
- b) Bone health
As mentioned above, chia seeds are an excellent source of minerals such as magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, calcium, and protein, which are significantly beneficial for strengthening bones, nails, and teeth.
- c) Brain health
Brain health is linked to the amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which are able to maintain it. Because of that, chia seeds can reconnect and nourish neurons, can reduce brain inflammation, which increases the function of the brain, and prevents brain deterioration and brain fog.
- d) Diabetes
The persons who have blood sugar issues are highly recommended to include the chia seeds in their regular diet. They are a great source of fiber and able to lower blood sugar and reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease.
- e) Fiber
Only a serving of about 30 grams chia seeds may be a third of the RDA for an adult. When the fiber is regularly consumed it can improve your digestive health.
- f) Heart health
As chia seeds contain healthy fats like omega-3 and omega-6, which are not synthesized naturally by the body, so they are used to reduce the risk of a heart attack and fatal cardiac arrhythmia.
Additionally, the chia seeds can eliminate fat buildup in the arteries and reduce the amount of cholesterol in the body.
- g) Inflammation
Chia seeds are great in reducing inflammation and improving circulation, why they are highly recommended for people who suffer from psoriasis, diabetes, arthritis and cardiovascular diseases.
Additionally, they are helping in healing even tuberculosis.
- h) Weight loss
Thanks to the easy absorption of the fiber found in chia seeds it can slow the absorption of other foods and enhance satiety. The protein in Chia seeds can also reduce appetite and food intake.
1) Recommended daily intake of chia seeds is approximately 3-4 tablespoon. As they are rich in fiber you should start with a smaller amount if you aren’t sure how your organism tolerates fiber.
2) They can be consumed raw, added to baked goods, yogurts, puddings, vegetable dishes, and soups, soaked in the juices or water, or mixed into shakes or smoothies.
3) Chia seeds absorb fat and water. Added to water, they can expand more than 30 times of their own weight, so make sure to soak them for 10-15 minutes.
4) When they are consumed dry, they can cause constipation, dehydration, or even choke, because they absorb moisture from your intestines.
Chia seeds should be kept in an airtight container in a cool and dark place.
Note: Pregnant women and young children can consume chia seeds in small quantities since there is no known intolerance or allergic reaction to consuming these seeds.